It is always a good idea to back up your current installation before proceeding with an update. You should also block all Workers from picking up new jobs, and either stop all running jobs, or let all running jobs complete before upgrading your Qube! software.
To block the workers, use the WranglerView UI or the qblock command. See this page for details.
Upgrading with the Installer
This is the recommended way to upgrade Qube! The installer will take care of stopping and restarting services, and so requires very little input from the admin. Simply start the Qube! installer (for download instructions, see this page) and run it as root or Administrator. Click through to the Selection Screen and choose "Upgrade Installed".
That's it! The installer will take care of stopping and starting services, downloading and installing software, etc.
You may still wish to upgrade Qube! manually. Here are the steps for doing that. You will have to either perform this action these actions as an Administrator (or root) or use sudo.
- Stop Activity on the Farm
It's good practice to first stop current farm activity before doing an upgrade of the Supervisor. Run the following command from a command shell to stop dispatch activity and reject new submissions.
% qbadmin supervisor --set reject_submit
% qblock --all
Wait for all activity to stop. If necessary, use the WranglerView UI to block any remaining , or pause any running jobs.
- Stop the Supervisor service.
/sbin/service supervisor stop
SystemStarter stop supervisor
net stop qubesupervisor
- Uninstall the old version of Qube! and install the new version:
rpm -e qube-core-ver-releaseos.arch.rpm
rpm -e qube-supervisor-ver-release-os.arch.rpm
rpm –ivh qube-core-ver-releaseos.arch.rpm
rpm –ivh qube-supervisor-ver-release-os.arch.rpm
- Follow the standard installation with the .pkg/.mpkg installers (see Installation section for details). The installers will show "Update" instead of "Install" to indicate this is an update.
- Open the "Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs" and remove the Qube Components ("Qube! Supervisor Service", "Qube! Core", etc).
- Install the new Qube Core and Supervisor (see Installation section for details).
% qbadmin supervisor --set stop_activity
block Workers from picking up new work:
- Restart Services
/sbin/service supervisor start
- Shut down the Worker daemon:
Linux: /sbin/service worker stop
OS X: SystemStarter stop worker
Win: (dialog): Services Window->Worker->stop
Win (cmdline): net stop qubeworker
- Uninstall the old version of Qube and install the new version:
rpm –Uvh qube-core-ver-release-os.arch.rpm
rpm –Uvh qube-worker-ver-release-os.arch.rpm
- Open the "Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs" and remove the Qube Components ("Qube! Worker Service", "Qube! Core", Qube Jobtypes, etc). Install the new Qube Core, Qube Worker, and Jobtypes (see Installation section for details).
- [Linux only] Manually restart the Worker daemon:
/sbin/service worker start
- Restart activity on the farm.
% qbadmin supervisor --unset stop_activity
% qbadmin supervisor --unset reject_submit